Thursday 21 January 2021

Self-Introduction Letter

Subject: Self-introduction

 

Dear Professor Blackstone,

 

I hope that you will be able to know me better through this introductory email. My name is Regina Lee, and I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic in 2020 with a diploma in green building and sustainability. I am currently a year 1 student undertaking a Civil Engineering degree programme at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).

 

Frankly speaking, I did not have much interest in engineering during my first year in polytechnic as I was gravitating towards graphic design. My interest in this field only sparked in the second year of my diploma when I started taking architecture modules such as Sustainable Design and Tropical Architecture. Reading more articles about climate change has also piqued my interest in environmental sustainability. Therefore, I decided to pursue civil engineering because of its diverse sector, covering aspects of engineering, architecture, and the environment. I aspire to make a difference in climate change by contributing to a more sustainable urban city in the coming years.

 

My biggest inspiration is Greta Thunberg, a teenage activist who is passionate about reducing the existing effects of climate change. One inspiring quote by Greta Thunberg that I live by would be "I have learned you are never too small to make a difference.". Since 2018, I started being more eco-friendly by making a conscious effort to practice the 3Rs - reduce, reuse, and recycle. I strongly believe that my small change can impact people around me to do the same.

 

A communication strength I believe I possess would be having empathy. Being able to empathize with others allows me to listen and understand my project mates and colleagues’ opinions and ideas. For example, during my internship at Cushman and Wakefield, my supervisor entrusted 3 Green Mark projects to me. As a leader, I often considered and respected my team’s ideas and points of view. In terms of weakness in communication, I lack confidence whenever I have to speak to a crowd. I often fear that what I say may not be relevant to the audience.

 

By the end of this module, I hope to be more proactive in class and to further enhance my written communication skills. With practice, I believe my confidence to be more vocal and to write a report with more precision will improve. I look forward to unleashing my communication potential under your guidance.

 

Best regards,

 

Regina Lee

CVE 1281, Group 5


I commented on Iqbal, Marcus, Ming Hao and Ivy's blog post

11 comments:

  1. Hi Regina, thank you for sharing. I like how you bring the reader through a well planned out thought-flow, which made reading this enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hai Hong

      Thank you for the comment. I am glad to know that my letter is enjoyable to read.

      Best regards
      Regina

      Delete
  2. Hey Regina, your letter is very concise. U explained clearly how and what you went through in the past. I am sure you will be able to reach your goals in due course, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marcus

      Thank you for the encouraging comment. I am encouraged to know that I managed to express myself clearly through this letter. All the best in reaching your goals too!

      Best regards
      Regina

      Delete
  3. Hello Regina, thank you for sharing. Your letter is clear and concise. Your explanation are concrete as well. I am sure you will be able to achieve your goals through this module. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iqbal

      Thank you for the uplifting comment. I am glad to hear that my letter is clear and concise. All the best in this module too!

      Best regards
      Regina

      Delete
  4. Dear Regina,

    Having read your introductory letter, I realized you managed to cover the general requirements of introducing yourself to the professor. I am thoroughly fascinated by how you managed to use your inspirations in life as a motivation to impact the people around you. I learnt a new name I was previously not introduced to, Greta Thunberg, and her quote was truly inspiring.

    Furthermore, I personally feel you covered most of the 7Cs, namely:
    - Clear (Generally very comprehensible)
    - Concrete (Examples were given to support your stand)
    - Coherent (There was a logical flow)
    - Courteous (Sounded polite to me)
    - Complete (Most of the content covered in detail)

    However, there might be room for improvement and some of them are listed below:

    1. In the closing paragraph, you talked about the general goal you set for yourself towards the end of the module. I felt it could have been more specific in terms of your approach to achieving that goal.
    - An example includes, “I hope to speak up more and be more proactive in class. By doing so, I can gradually increase my confidence to be more vocal.

    2. I think it might be complete, but it could be further narrowed down to be more concise. Certain paragraphs may contain information that might be redundant.
    - Paragraph 3: “Greta Thunberg has motivated me in my green journey” may not be necessary as you have already included how Greta is a teenage activist who is passionate about reducing the existing effects of climate change, which can already be linked to your initiative to be more eco-friendly.
    I felt that the letter was very well done! I hope my comments would help you improve your letter further and help you reach your goal in improving your writing skills.

    Yours sincerely,

    Quek Ming Hao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ming Hao

      Thank you for taking time to read my letter and for the heartfelt comment. I am glad you have been inspired by the quote. I also appreciate how you have took time to critic my letter as I believe this is a way I can further enhance my letter. I have made the necessary changes.
      Let's strive for effective communication - we got this!

      Best regards
      Regina

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Regina,

    First, I want to apologize for the late review of your letter. In your letter's case, it looks like I've saved one of the most fluent, most exceptional letters for last. This is really an excellent effort. You cover each of the parameters of the assignment in fine detail, illustrating with ample examples and explanations. In the process, you reveal lots of interesting information about yourself. The whole segment on how you became more enthused about civil engineering, with inspiration from Greta Thunberg as an actual catalyst, is fascinating. You mention too how this has impacted your daily life. (I honestly feel that students like you are the hope not just for Singapore going forward, but also for any hope for the planet.)

    You do an equally marvelous job detailing your communication stregnths and weaknesses, with concrete info leveraged from your internship. It's impressive that you were able to achieve so much with three Green Mark projects. If there were more space in this post word-wise, it would be interesting for reader if you would explain how at least one of those turned out.

    Language-wise, this is also a fine effort. The only phrase that can be improved is this: "majoring in Bachelor of Civil Engineering", which requires "degree programme" tagged onto it....

    All in all, a great post though, with lots of good feedback from classmates. I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad

      Thank you for taking time out to read my letter. I appreciate the detailed feedback. Hence, I have made the necessary changes.

      I look forward to your future classes!

      Best regards
      Regina

      Delete